The Cell Cycle
- What is mitosis and what is the the purpose of mitotic
- Describe cell division in prokaryotes.
- What is a somatic cell?
- What are diploid, haploid and polyploid? How does
of gametes differ from that of the somatic cells from which
- What is the function of DNA (at the molecular level)? What
is a chromosome?
Describe it and label it's parts. How is the DNA of the
organized during each of the stages of the cell cycle?
How are chromosomes different/similar during each stage?)
- What is an allele? Compare an allele on one chromatid
of a chromosome with the allele on the other chromatid of the same
How would they be different/similar? Compare alleles for a given
gene on separate homologous chromosomes.
- What are the stages of the cell cycle? In general, what
each of the three stages of interphase?
- What factors determine how a cell will proceed through its cell
- Describe a cell in interphase. Describe a cell in each of
- What is the mitotic spindle? Describe in general its
and function. What is the difference between a kinetochore
and nonkinetochore microtubules?
- Compare and contrast cytokinesis between animals and
- What is cancer, and how is it related to problems with cell
Describe the difference between a benign tumor and a malignant
What is metastasis?