1) Animals are
chemoheterotrophs. What does this
What are the three major metabolic roles of food?
2) Describe the different
adaptations that have evolved in
with respect to:
3) Trace the pathway of a
morsel of food through the digestive
of a mammal. Discuss the structure and function of each of the
of the alimentary canal (mouth,
pharynx, esophagus, stomach, small
(villi and micrvilli), large intestine (a.k.a. colon),
- Describe the 3 dietary categories in animals (Herbivores,
Omnivores) and the 4 main ways in which animals feed.
- Describe the process of enzymatic hydrolysis of food.
- Compare and contrast intracellular and extracellular
Which groups of animals uses intracellular digestion?
- Compare and contrast gastrovascular cavities and alimentary
4) Compare and contrast the
digestive tract of insects and
to that of mammals. Which structures have analogous functions?
5) What roles do the pancreas
and liver play
6) What structural differences are
there between the
canals of carnivores and herbivores? What is the adaptive
of these differences?
7) If animals
lack the enzyme that digests
how then do grazing herbivores obtain nutrition from cellulose?