Energetics, Enzymes and
- Understand that metabolism is the sum of all chemical
in an organism, both build up (anabolic pathways) and break down
(catabolic pathways), and that these processes all require
- What is the ultimate source of energy for nearly all life on
- Why must living systems have an outside source of energy?
- How is life consistent with the laws of thermodynamics?
- How does ATP serve as an energy-carrying molecule?
- What is free energy (G)? What components determine
energy of a system? What happens to free energy in a spontaneous
reaction or process? What is an exergonic reaction?
An endergonic reaction?
- How do living cells generate ATP?
- What is a catalyst and how do they influence living
- Why are enzymes important for living systems? How
lower the energy of activation for reactions? Describe
cycle of how enzymes catalyze chemical reactions.
- What factors in the environment and in organisms help regulate
- Compare and contrast competitive and non-competitive
How are these controls used to regulate metabolism?